Monday, April 19, 2010

Words to live and work by...


Sometimes humility is an act of self-preservation, and pride is the surest path to humiliation.

Hi all:

I learned this lesson well over the last couple of weeks.  I had been working on mock-ups for a potential wholesale account which were completely contrary to my overall asthetic.  But instead of admitting that straight off, I was convinced that I could do anything.  So 3 weeks of labor and frustration followed as I tried every technique I know as well as trying to force a few new ones...all to try and squeeze myself into a mold I knew I would not fit in.

And finally today - I faced the truth.  I am not the right designer for the project.  And you know what, I am ok with that.  I would rather the clients get something that they are going to be happy with, and that I would be proud to put my name to.

So tomorrow Rachel, my photographeress extraordinaire, is coming over tomorrow to catch me up on new designs.  So I will have work to work on whilst I am on vacation in California this week.

And also while I am on vacation, I am going to be taking my camera out to local landmarks, both in my hometown and Omaha...expect to see those pics along with some interesting tidbits about each one.

I love old buildings...the attention to little hidden details that are notably absent from new construction.  Buildings were built to last and also to show the personality of the architect and person living in the house.

I'm excited to see all my favorite places in Northern California over the next week:  Chinatown, Monterey, Saratoga/Los Gatos, San Francisco, Winchester Mystery House, Caffe Le Presse, etc, etc, etc...

Redhead signing off,
Leah

No comments: