Thursday, May 20, 2010

Letters to Juliet - aka: Verona, love and romance on a rainy day

Letters to Juliet: Celebrating Shakespeare's Greatest Heroine, the Magical City of Verona, and the Power of Love If you have a question about love, would you ask a trusted friend or maybe your mother, your grandmother for advice?

If you are heartbroken, would you cry into your pillow and keep your grief locked up inside?

If you have lost someone you love and grieve for that loss, who answers your question about the whys?

In the city of Verona, the city of love...there is an alley in the middle of the city, across from trendy shops and outdoor cafes.  It's the home of Juliet.  Yes, that Juliet...Shakespeare's Juliet.  A small balcony overlooks the courtyard and a bronze statue of the famed heroine, waits for her Romeo under the balcony.  Visitors flock here to write letters asking for advice about love, loss and life ever year.  These letters are taped, or put in cracks and on ledges.

I made my own visit to this alley on a trip with my mum in 2003 to Italy.  I stood and looked up at the balcony and took pictures of people rubbing the statue of Juliet for luck.  I tucked my own letter into a crack on the wall.  I went to Italy with a broken heart...healing from a relationship that had ended.  And though I did not receive an answer from Juliet about my questions (because I didn't leave an address), I felt better.

I went to see the movie, Letters to Juliet, today.  And the photography of those familiar places in Italy that I visited made me a bit homesick...although Italy is not the country of my birth.  And Juliet's home, the cobbled alleyway I stood and wished for an end to heartache remains the same.

The movie was a sweet reminder of what we will do in the name of love:  both lost and found.

No comments: